More and more we hear about how important it is to be eco-friendly and to respect our planet. It is a big undertaking, but if we all do our own small part, we can really help to protect our environment for the future.
There are many ways that we can reduce our carbon footprint in the home, but what about at the office? We have put together 5 ways that you can make energy saving changes in the workplace, which can enable you to do your bit for the planet. They may also save you money in the long run too.
Why should I make my business greener?
The workplace is where we spend much of our time, usually in an office with a group of other people. It is also likely that your business will reach out to many other avenues, such as customers and suppliers, so it is a great place to start when we choose to start making an impact on our carbon footprint.
Lighting your office space
- Position your desks near windows to optimise natural light
- Use energy efficient bulbs
- Remind everyone to turn lights off when they are not in a room
- Install motion sensor lighting so it will go off when the room is empty
Heating your office space
- Ensure windows are closed at the end of every day and when the office is empty
- Ask the owner of the office to install better insulation
- Encourage staff to wear extra layers rather than turning up the heating
- Make sure main doors are not left open in order to prevent any heat escaping
Change your direct marketing to digital to save paper
- Send newsletters by email rather than through the post
- Advertise offers via Facebook and other social media outlets
- Move your brochures online rather than having them printed - this could work out more cost efficient too
- Send appointments and reminders by email or text
Offer eco-friendly pens
- Give your staff eco-friendly pens for the office and for external meetings
- Send your clients eco-friendly promotional pens as a gift to encourage their use
- Offer eco-friendly pens to potential customers at trade fairs
- Advertise your business by adding your brand artwork to your eco-friendly pens, which can cut down on printing business cards
Invest in renewable energy
- Install solar panels to convert energy into electricity
- Wind turbines are also a great renewable source of energy
- Look into ground source heat pumps
- Grants are often available from the government for people wanting to make changes